Tax Bills

I don’t think that my tax bill is accurate – what should I do?
You have 30 days from the date of issue of the first actual tax bill and/or Personal Property tax bills to file for an abatement (usually February 1st) with the Board of Assessors. You have 30 days from the date of issue of an excise tax bill to pay the tax without penalty. You can file for an abatement of an excise tax with the Board of Assessor’s within three years after the excise was due or within one year after the excise was paid, whichever is later. The Tax Collector cannot change or adjust your tax bill. You should pay the tax bill on-time to avoid late fees and additional charges. Any adjustment of the tax would be refunded to you. 

Where do I pay my tax bills? 
You can pay your tax as follows:

  • By mailing a copy of the tax bill and a check or money order to
    Town of Athol
    Department 5030
    PO Box 4110
    Woburn, MA01888-4110
  • In person at the Tax Collector's office located on the first floor of the Athol Town Hall, 584 Main St. Athol MA  Office hours are Monday, Wednesday and Thursday 8:00am to 4:30 pm and on Tuesday 8:00 to 8:00pm.
  • There is a payment drop box located at the top of the steps on the right at the Town Hall entrance where residents may drop off tax payments. Please do not put cash in the drop box!   
  • Pay online through the Athol’s website

Missing your tax bill?
Many tax bills are returned to Town Hall. The correction for Real Estate and Personal Property bills can only be made in the Assessor's Office.

Please note: Motor Vehicle Excise bills are sent to the address of record according to the Registry of Motor Vehicle's records. If you do not get a bill for Motor Vehicle Excise because the address is incorrect at the Registry, you will need to contact the Registry to have this corrected. Upon moving you have 30 days to correct your motor vehicle address with the registry. This correction cannot be made in the Assessor's Office or the Tax Collector's Office.  

If you have not received your bill, please call the Tax Collector's Office at (978) 249-8484.